Miller Chapel, Princeton Theological Seminary
This 8,400 sf Chapel dominates the central green of the Princeton Theological Seminary campus. Originally designed and built in 1833 by architect Charles Steadman, it received Victorian-era modifications in 1873. In 1933, the Chapel was moved 200 feet to its current location, where it was enlarged and restored by the architectural firm of Delano & Aldrich, creating a Colonial Revival masterpiece.
Work by Mills + Schnoering Architects principals and staff* at Miller Chapel encompassed restoration of the building's exterior, renovation of the nave and chancel to form one room for worship, provision for barrier-free accessibility to and within the building, and the modernization of all building systems.
On the front wall, the Greek Revival period marbleized stucco finish was restored. The Colonial Revival interior colors were restored based on historic paint analysis. The Chapel's acoustics and audio systems were improved to support and enhance the installation of a new tracker organ and to facilitate choral and spoken presentation. The lower level of the Chapel was also renovated to accommodate the sacristy, vestry room, a robing room for the choir, a small meeting room, and new accessible restrooms.
*working as Ford Farewell Mills & Gatsch Architects, LLC.